We rehearse on Mondays from 7:30 to 10:00 p.m. at Congregation Beit Simchat Torah, 130 West 30th Street between 6th and 7th Avenues. This beautifully renovated, modern space is fully accessible, climate-controlled, and very conveniently reachable by subway, bus, and train.
An expressive, steady tone
A good musical ear
Some ability to sight-sing
A love of choral community
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What will the audition be like? Relax! We want you, or we wouldn't be holding auditions. Bring a brief classical selection (song, aria, or choral excerpt). You will also do some sight-singing and vocalizing. We promise to put you at ease!
2. Who are the members? Our approximately 175-voice group is multi-generational and diverse. Our members come from throughout the region and from many different walks of life. We are open to anyone who qualifies musically. Many times, new members have told us that this is the friendliest group they've ever joined. We work hard on the music, but we also enjoy our rehearsals and each other's company enormously.
3. What are the expenses? Dues are $250 per year, payable by the first rehearsal in November ($150 for members joining after the December concert). Members buy or rent their own music, and are required to sell tickets (please see below). It is very important to us that financial hardship never become a barrier to membership. Each season, a confidential conversation with our President or Membership Chair can secure a dues reduction or payment arrangement to accommodate a particular situation.
4. Am I required to sell a certain number of tickets? Yes. All active members are required to sell at least 4 tickets per Carnegie Hall concert.
5. What can I expect at rehearsals? Our rehearsals are devoted to deepening each singer’s understanding of the relationship of his/her part to the whole, and to building an expressive, energized and beautiful collective sound. Assignments are made each week via email; members are expected to study notes and words on their own. Any member who misses more than a specified number of preparatory rehearsals for a concert may be required either to withdraw from that performance, or to be re-heard to ensure that s/he is prepared.
6. How do I obtain the music? Scores will be available at rehearsals for purchase. Sometimes the music can be rented or downloaded.
7. What is the performance attire? Ankle-length black skirt or dress slacks with black long-sleeved blouse and black shoes; or tuxedo or black suit with white shirt and black bow tie, black shoes, black socks.
Soloist Audition Request
Send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject, please list your name and voice category.
Include the types of roles for which you would like to be considered.
If you have a website, include links to your resume, repertoire list, current references, and if possible, sample recordings. In lieu of a website, you may attach your resume, repertoire list, and current references (but no photo, please) to your email.
We will contact you if we have an opening.